Verify Game Cache Integrity on Steam
- Missing Textures
Often the problems that users are experiencing are a result of their local game files being either corrupted, or incompletely downloaded from Steam. These problems include missing textures or effects, or crashing when loading specific areas or items; while the rest of the game generally runs fine.
Fortunately there is an easy way to verify and fix these files.
- Go to your Steam Library
- Right-click on "Don't Starve Together"
- Select "Properties"
- Select "Local Files" tab
- Click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" button
- When the process is complete, launch Don't Starve Together
Please note that computers with video cards under 256 MB will experience intermittent crashing issues as Don't Starve Together requires video cards with at least 256 MB or over. More information on Don't Starve Together's system specs here.
Check your drivers - First, check to make sure that your drivers are up-to-date. Do some searching to verify that you have the latest driver versions available.
Check your system specs - Make sure your system meets the requirements. If it does not, you are still welcome to file a report; just make sure to let us know what the specs are.
Disable Mods - It could be that one or more of the mods you have installed is causing an issue with your game. Try disabling your mods to see if that resolves your issue. Also, please check that the mod you are trying to use is compatible with your version of the game.
Security software - Unfortunately malware, firewall and virus protection programs can be a bit unpredictable at times. Try disabling anything you have running then try running the game again.
3rd-party software - Pop-up blockers, ad-blockers, and other types of software running in the background can sometimes cause problems. Turn off anything you have running in the background then try running the game again.
You may want to try re-running installers if:
- I can't start the game
- .exe program crashes
- I get a black screen
Re-install DXSetup in folder:
C:\Progarm FIles\Steam\steamapps\common\Don’t Starve Together\DXRedist\DXSETUP
Re-install VCRedist in folder:
C:\Program FIles\Steam\steamapps\common\Don’t Starve Together\VCRedist
Configure NVIDIA Control Panel if:
- You notice slow performance on your laptop using NVIDIA graphics
- You encounter red outlines
- You encounter a dark screen
- Your game color turns green
Some laptops with NVIDIA graphics actually contain two graphics chips; an Intel integrated chip for power-saving and a dedicated NVIDIA chip for high-performance uses such as gaming. Your graphics driver will detect which chip to use based on the program that you're running, but may not correctly detect that the high performance chip is required to run Don't Starve Together.
You can manually set the game to run in high-performance mode, which can improve performance significantly.
- Going to the NVIDIA Control Panel by right-clicking on your desktop and choosing "NVIDIA Control Panel"
- Select "Manage 3D Settings" on the left-hand list, and the "Program Settings" tab on the right-hand side
- Under "1.Select a program to customize:" hit the "Add" button
- From here, navigate to the folder when your Steam games are located
- Probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin
- Select "game.exe" and hit open
- Then, under "2.Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" open the drop-down menu and select "High-performance NVIDIA processor"
- Finally, hit apply in the far bottom right corner.
Your system should now use the high-performance graphics chip the next time you run Don't Starve Together.
If you are running the game with integrated graphics, please make sure to check this option in the NVIDIA control panel as well. *Note that the NVIDIA Control Panel may display the name of the game incorrectly, but the icon should be identifiable as Don't Starve Together.
If you know that you have an NVIDIA or AMD Radeon card that meets Don't Starve Together's specs, but you're still unable to run the game, you may have to force your graphics card to run instead of your integrated card. Go to your NVIDIA Control Panel or Radeon Catalyst Control Panel and force your NVIDIA/Radeon card to run whenever you're playing Don't Starve Together. It should be called the "Dedicated" card.
(From Steam's online support: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
If you have tried all troubleshooting steps and are still unable to play the game, please report your issue in the Don't Starve Together Bug Tracker with your DxDiag.txt and client_log.txt files.
You will find client_log.txt in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_log.txt