If you are encountering an error similar to "Unable to write to config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder."
This means that your Windows User Account does not have the proper administrative permissions to access your Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether save folder. Try the following steps to see if these help resolve the issue for you:
IMPORTANT: Please ensure that your Windows PC profile has the proper administrative permissions to run programs, create files, and such.
1) Run the Steam client as an Administrator
- Fully close out of Steam and restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, right-click on the Steam icon > select "Run as Administrator"
- If that does not work, go to step #2.
2) Run Don't Starve Together as an Administrator
- Run Don't Starve Together dontstarve_steam.exe as an administrator in your game folders (Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe)
- Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator"
If Steps #1 and Step #2 do not help with the issue, try Step #3 and these should be able to help resolve the issue.
3) Check your Anti-virus, anti-malware, Firewall, and security settings
- Depending on your firewall, security, and antivirus settings, occasionally it may block a program that you want to access. Ensure that your firewall, security settings, and other antivirus software is allowing the game to do so. You can find more information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289
And if all fails, If that fails, try creating another save directory (say c:\DontStarveTogether) and then launch the game with that as the save directory:
- In steam right-click the game in your library
- Select ‘properties’
- Click ‘Set launch options’
- Enter ‘-persistent_storage_root c:\DontStarveTogether’ (without the quotes)
- Close dialog.
- And the next one
- Launch the game.
Should you continue to encounter the issue, please post your issue as well as your log.txt file in our Don't Starve Together Bug Tracker.